Saturday, May 11, 2013

Cake for Company

       Baking is not really my thing, unless its Christmas and I am in full Martha mode whipping up extremely decadent truffles and such. Other than that I am a little too loosey goosey with my measuring and not very good at reading recipes, so most of what I bake turns out ok but never amazing.

      I volunteered this week to bring something to my monthly mom's discussion group (we are currently reading Mulieris Dignitatem by JPII which I highly recommend). I decided to explore the world of coffee cake and promptly googled "healthy coffee cake," I know I know that is an oxymoron. I did find one that sounded good and looked reasonable healthy, waited until the last minute to put it together, realized that I didn't have all the ingredients and had to make some adjustments. I think I baked it slightly too long as it was a little dry, it was quite sweet but very good.

Skinny Coffee Cake

Serves about 12.
 Prep time: >8 minutes
 Cook time: About 25 minutes
Ingredients:
For the cake:
 •1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (I didn't have any so used oil)
 •2 tablespoons unsalted butter
 •2/3 cup brown sugar (I used coconut sugar which worked quite nicely)
 •2 large eggs, room temperature
 •2 cups all-purpose flour
 •1 teaspoon baking powder
 •1/4 teaspoon baking soda
 •1 teaspoon vanilla
 •Dash of salt
 •1 cup nonfat vanilla Chobani

Topping:
 •1/4 cup white sugar
 •1/4 cup brown sugar (used coconut sugar again)
 •1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (didn't have any, so I just mixed up a little of my own)
 •1/2 cup chopped almonds

Directions:
 1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until mixed.
 2.In a large bowl, beat the butter, applesauce, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamed. Mix the Chobani into the applesauce mixture until fully combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until fully combined. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the prepared baking dish.
 3.To make the topping, mix the sugars, pumpkin pie spice and almonds together. Sprinkle 1/2 of the topping over the batter. Cover with the rest of the batter and then sprinkle the remaining topping over the batter.
 4.Bake cake for about 35* minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
 
 

Linking up with Francesca and her delicious creation.

1 comment:

  1. Monthly mom's discussion?? Baby?? Job?? Emily! You are supermom! I have to say this looks really yummy. What is this coconut sugar? Brown sugar does not exist here, I'm sure I could make my own but molasses costs way more than it's worth.

    ReplyDelete