Monday, May 20, 2013

Maternity Monday-DIY Maternity Shorts

And pants too! I tried on several pairs of maternity shorts recently knowing that hot humid New England summer is quickly approaching. I couldn't find a pair that looked good enough on me (think poofy diaper) to make me want to spend $35-$50. So I realized I needed to explore other options. A few months ago, inspired by this tutorial, I converted a pair of regular pink skinny jeans I got for a few bucks into maternity jeans. It worked great, but the way I did the belly band is a little bunchy and I figured I could make a few improvements to the concept. I personally like the full belly panel, as it is smoother and doesn't allow for flashes of pregnant belly. I decided to keep my eye out at the thrift store for some shorts and try my hand at it again, this time with my added improvements.

I found these shorts for $2.50 at Goodwill:

 
I bought a hideous pair of maternity cords for $5 (forgot to take before pictures) and cut the belly band off:
 
I then removed the waist band from the shorts:
 
working in quarter sections (making sure there was a little more of the material in the front than the back) I pinned and sewed the belly band to the shorts:
 
I used a zigzag stitch so that the thread would stretch with the fabric since I wasn't using elastic thread:
 
I left the zipper in and just sewed the top part shut. That way the shorts have a "real" shorts look.
 
Here is the finished product:

 
So there you have it, a pair of non-diaperesque maternity shorts for $7.50. Not bad!
 
*Using shorts or pants that have a little stretch to them works best, so that the shorts themselves also stretch a little with the belly band and create a smoother look.  
 
 
I also made a pair of white skinny jeans, from a pair of jeans I found in the juniors section at Marshall's for $15.
 
Before
 
After

 
Close up

 






My next project is to convert a pair of navy blue capris from Goodwill into shorts too.

I hope your week is swell!

6 comments:

  1. That's quite clever, I didn't know you were so handy with a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attempt some shoddy work here and there. I usually don't have the patience to do things the right way, cut corners, and regret it later.

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I call dibs on you maternity clothes if/whenever I'm pregnant again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure!I have already worn the stuff you gave me a bunch, so thanks!

      I also really need to fix the font color on these replies. I just cant remember how to do it now.

      Delete
  3. I taught her everything she knows....especially the patience part!!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking of trying my hand at the sewing machine thing but I don't have thrift stores...
    Great job, though!

    ReplyDelete