Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Easy Week Night Dinners

         With Ryan buried in law school and MBA classes, and me trying desperately to work at least 30 hours a week, we tend to keep our week night dinners simple. We are on a pretty steady rotation of salads, burritos, and chicken. Pretty boring, but we spice it up here and there when we have guests or on the weekends.
          One great easy dish I cook often is whole roasted chicken. Most of the time I just rub it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and Herbs de Provence and cook it in my dutch oven. Roasting a chicken in a dutch oven is almost fool proof in terms of cooking a moist chicken, and if you like some crispy skin you can take the lid off for the last bit. Sometimes we don't even eat it right away, and I just pick the meat off and put it in the fridge. We use it later in the week for salads and wraps or reheated with some roasted potatoes. Caleb loves it too, and will munch on little diced pieces of chicken while grunting and banging on his tray.
       
        If I am feeling ambitious, I chop up some vegetables and throw them in the bottom of the pan. If I am feeling extra ambitious I may even make a little gravy out of the juice in the bottom of the pan.
         Today was an extra ambitious day, so I added carrots, asparagus, and red potatoes and cooked up some gravy.


What are some easy week night dinners you make?

3 comments:

  1. We're doing chicken tonight! I don't have a dutch oven so I have to do it in the oven. Remember the amazing chicken and potatoes they served us at Hotel Messico?? I wish my potatoes were like that. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm yeah those were really good with the crispy outsides and all! So how did your chicken turn out?

      Delete
  2. Delicious! We put aluminium foil over the pan, helps get it moist.
    This time we tried not salting the potatoes, using only oil, came out really nice. I feel like we eat too much salt, better to cut back some.

    ReplyDelete